Sunday, April 21, 2013

Rookery Bay Boat Trip

I will start of by saying that I was unable to take alot of pictures during this field trip as it was very cloudy/rainy and I was helping the guide do alot of the tasks on our boat. Such as tying on to the other boat when we had to put the boats together to go over stuff, or releasing or pulling in and letting out the drag net to collect specimens for us to study.

When I woke up the morning of this field trip I was half expecting to see an email saying that the trip was cancelled because it was very cloudy and windy that morning. When we got there we were given a quick run down in their field office about the trip and the data we would be collecting. We were then issued life jackets... Now I can understand the reasoning that they would want people to have them, especially since they have no idea how good of a swimmer that any of us our, but I wish I could have just pulled out my scuba diving certification card and been exempted from wearing one... but I digress.



 Once we finally did get down to the boats the trip was fine, I got volunteered along with Spencer to work the drag net. We did get a pretty good haul according to the guide, we caught a pretty good variety of stuff including these guy.

  After were done studying and recording what we had caught we put them back in the water and we headed to the pass, and beached our boats and we were going to have lunch. No sooner did I sit down and take a bite of my sandwich, it started to sprinkle so we decided to call it a day and headed back a little earlier than we had planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment